How to Instantly Become Happier and More Positive: 6 Tips
I’m not going to lie. Sometimes, this world is hard to live in, and I often struggle to maintain a positive outlook.
We suffer loss, heartbreak, disappointment, exhaustion from the daily grind that never ends (Ever have the feeling of “Here I am again” when you wake up each morning??)…all of which seems to overpower the good. Sometimes, I find it way too easy to have a negative outlook throughout life’s circumstances. And that needs to change!
Today, I’m sharing all the ways I instantly become happier and more positive AND maintain a positive mindset.
Tip #1: Start Your Day with Your Favorite Song
Have you ever had a terrible day but then hear your favorite song on the radio? How did you feel then? I know for certain that when I listen to upbeat music I love, it instantly boosts my mood! I can’t sit there and be sad through Taylor Swift’s”Shake It Off” or “Party in the USA” by Miley Cyrus.
Even though it’s a struggle to figure out how to stay positive during difficult times, music is a really powerful and highly accessible tool.
So why not turn on your fave happy tune when you wake up in the morning?
- It will set the tone for the rest of your day and put you on track to become happier and more positive.
- Listening to music in general can have psychological benefits.
Tomorrow, when you wake up, cue Alexa to play an upbeat song you love!
Tip #2: Create a Relaxing Nighttime Routine
How awesome would it be to always end your day on a positive note? Try to create a relaxing nighttime routine so that you have something to look forward to at the end of your busy day.
Here are some things you can incorporate into your bedtime routine to make ie more relaxing:
- Wash your face with warm water and apply your favorite moisturizer or skincare products.
- Try some aromatherapy! Use lavender essential oils or a lavender-scented pillow spray.
- Get lost in a book while curled up in your favorite chair.
- Write down 3 things you are grateful to have happened to you that day.
Tip #3: Be Sure to Get Enough Sleep
This is an instant fix for me. When I wake up feeling as rested as I possibly can, I am always in a better mood. And when I’m in a better mood, it’s sooo much easier to be happy and more positive!
How can you get more sleep? Here are a few tips that work for me:
- Cut off your caffeine intake by noon. If I have any form of caffeine after 12 PM, I notice that I do not sleep as well. This is unfortunate, because I wish I could drink cappuccinos all day. But if I want to be in a good headspace tomorrow, I just can’t
- Don’t look at your phone before bed. I have the worst habit of watching TikTok videos before I go to sleep. It seems as though that is the only quiet time I have to watch and enjoy them, and I love drawing inspiration from them. But it’s just not good. It’s way too easy to fall down the endless rabbit hole, and before I know it, it’s midnight. And when I wake the next day, I’m tired! (Plus, aside from the staying up too late part, there is tons of proof that the blue light from phones disrupts your sleep.)
- Stay on a sleep schedule. This is so hard (because life), but I’ve been trying to go to sleep at the same time each night and wake up at the same time each morning. In doing so, my body and mind know when to be awake and when to sleep, which makes me feel more rested.
Tip #4: Be Grateful for the Little Things
When I’ve had a particularly trying day, or when I just received some terrible news, find it really difficult to stay positive. When this happens, I take a step back and try to find the positives in my life, including:
- Having a beautiful family with happy and healthy children.
- Being able to walk and live normally despite chronic back pain.
- Having the opportunity to be a stay-at-home-mom (as difficult as it sometimes is and even though I miss my former job as a teacher.)
- Living in a country that allows me opportunities to pursue dreams and live a safe life.
Yes, you will have days when thinking of anything to be thankful for is really hard! We all have horrible days and experiences. You can always make a list of the things you’re grateful for and hang it on your bathroom mirror so that you have a consistent reminder.
Tip #5: Create a Welcoming and Warm Space by Controlling Clutter
For me, a HUGE component to my happiness is my surroundings. Clutter is painful for me, but I can’t always mitigate it like I want.
The only way I could control the clutter 100% is if I lived alone, and I don’t want that! I want a family and all the chaos that comes with it. But it’s not always easy!
Here are a few tips on controlling clutter:
- Make sure your kids have designated bins for different types of toys. This will make it easier for them to clean up and not leave toys laying in the middle of your family room. (I like to keep all of their toys in their “play area.” Dedicating one space just for toys is super helpful.)
- Always have baskets of varying sizes. You will ALWAYS find a use for them, whether it’s for storing blankets, books, toys you need to put away in a hurry, etc.
- Do the dishes straight away. (This is something I HATE, but once the dishes are done, I feel an enormous weight lifted from my shoulders.)
- Have organizers for jewelry, makeup, skincare etc.
Shop My Favorite Baskets and Organizers
Tip #6: Understand that You Can’t Control Everything!
Sometimes, you need to come back down to Earth and understand that not everything is in your control. Just let it go!
Nothing will EVER be perfect. You will always have disruptions and things that don’t go as planned. You will have nights where you don’t sleep well and days filled with clutter. And you certainly cannot control the behavior of others. These are just the ebbs and flows of life.
The only thing you can control is how you care for yourself, how you react to things, and your gratefulness.
Final Thoughts on How to Be Happier and More Positive
It wouldn’t hurt to try some or all of these tips and see which work best for YOU. There is no one-size-fits-all to happiness and positivity. However, these are my top 6 tips for how I become happier and more positive. And they happen to help me maintain a positive mindset! I just have to keep doing them.
Please let me know of any tips that work for you that I did not list in this article!
Leave a comment!