How to ALWAYS Have Something to Wear
Getting dressed shouldn’t be stressful! If you dread getting dressed in the morning because you don’t know what to wear or where to begin, you just need a little closet audit! In this post, you will learn three important things: what to always have in your closet, what to purge from your closet, and how to organize what you have in your closet. After, you will ALWAYS have something to wear.
How to ALWAYS Have Something to Wear: Items You Must Have in your Closet:
Having the following fashion items in your closet will ensure that you always have something to wear at any given moment.
- blouses for work that will always go with your trousers or skirts
- polished-looking tees in solid colors (These will probably be the most useful items in your closet!)
- a few striped tees or tees with subtle prints in your favorite color palette that can easily be mixed, matched, and layered
- cute, updated graphic tees for pairing with jeans, shorts, or yoga pants (These can be worn under jackets, cardigans, button-downs, etc.)
- neutral camis
- a variety of cardigans that can be worn closed or unbuttoned in both shorter and longer lengths. It’s also fun to have a few cardigans with bold colors in the mix.
- polished sweatshirts (love H&M for these)
- chic sweaters
- a few crisp zip-up hoodies for easily throwing over tees and camis (These can also be worn alone, zipped up!)
- a few oversized tees (You can wear these as-is, knot them, tuck them, tie them…)
- one or two neutral blazers
- polished denim jacket and some other sort of jacket for weather transitions
- jeans (blue, black, white)
- yoga pants (I love these high-waisted ones.)
- black leggings (Aerie and Lululemon are my faves.)
- pull-on shorts (love these from SHEIN.)
- biker shorts (If you aren’t sure, trust me. These are a longer length. They are so easy to throw on with oversized tees in summer!)
- denim shorts
- trousers for work
- maxi skirts/midi skirts
- casual sundresses
- special occasion dresses
- simple solid ribbed knit sleeveless dresses for layering
- lounge sets for both summer and winter
- chic blouse and shorts sets for summer
- black one-piece swimsuit
- any other kind of swimsuit you like
- various coverups (SHEIN has an amazing selection.)
- pumps/wedges for work
- athletic sneakers
- crisp, white sneakers (I have these.)
- statement sneakers
- espadrille sandals
- comfy slide sandals like Birkenstock, Adidas.. Here are some ideas.
- chunky boots
- stackable bracelets (I love Baublebar!)
- layered necklaces
- special occasion purses
- everyday crossbody bag
- beach tote
- and my favorite, the mini backpack. I have this one by MZ Wallace, but in grey. I cannot seem to find a good color online right now, but they do sell them in boutiques. I also have a smaller, leopard print one, but I recommend the one I linked above.
How to ALWAYS Have Something to Wear: Items You Must Purge from Your Closet:
- anything that doesn’t currently fit you or that you hope to fit in one day
- things you haven’t worn in years (unless this is because you forgot you had the item)
- things that you don’t feel cute wearing (I have this rule: If I try to wear it but take it off two different times, I get rid of it.)
- super loud or trendy items, unless they are designer or you really can’t part with them. In that case, simply remove them from your closet/armoire and store in a box in another room to avoid wardrobe confusion .
- items you just don’t have any occasion for
How to ALWAYS Have Something to Wear: Organize What You Have!
- Group by sleeve length, and sort by colors (white short-sleeved tops in one area, black in another, button-down blouses in another, etc.)
- Keep occasion items together.
- I have a drawer for just leggings.
- I like to hang cardigans and fold sweaters and sweatshirts (Most people probably also fold their cardigans.)
Helpful Blog Posts and Instagram Videos:
- My outfit diary, so you can see how to style different items
Handy shopping links: