August 30, 2019
As soon as Essie Gel Couture Polish hit the store shelves, I was eager to try it, but I was still in my salon-going routine. I love that salon gel polish dries almost instantly, reducing opportunities for smudges or dings! Who doesn’t love being able to buckle their seatbelt without worrying about ruining a nail??
Aside from that, there are some things I do not like about salon gel manicures: They never seem to last the full two weeks, and I cannot easily remove the polish myself! While my salon gel manicures did a pretty good job of withstanding my continuous household chores, mom-related duties, and hand-washing, I wanted the freedom to remove the polish myself when I got sick of it. But since it is so tedious to remove, I always found myself back in the salon, perpetuating the cycle. Well, I finally worked up the nerve to ditch the salon and dive back into DIY with Essie Gel Couture!
Essie Gel Couture: The Packaging
The bottles are super functional and chic! The twist looks so elegant, and it makes the bottles easier to open. Plus, I love the way the Gel Couture bottle design sets the collection apart from the traditional Essie polish. Hel-lo! And check out all the colors they have!
Essie Gel Couture Polish: The Process
The nail polish application process is straightforward. All you have to do is apply two coats of your Essie Gel Couture color, and top off your digits with the Essie Gel Couture topcoat. You don’t need a UV lamp or any fancy driers. All you need is the pretty polish and your hands!
Essie Gel Couture: My Experience
So far, I have used 3 of the 4 colors I purchased. (I initially purchased 2 but liked Essie Gel Couture enough to go for more!) Here’s how it went:
- I applied 2 coats of color each time without any problems with streakiness or blobs. It was really easy to swipe on!
- I waited about 2 minutes before applying the top coat.
- My nails were dry in no time– I went back to chasing my kids in about 5 minutes without any smudges.
- I left the polish on my nails for a full 7 days. (According to Essie, it is supposed to last up to 14, and while it probably could have, the quality wouldn’t have been up to my standards.)
- This polish is easier to remove than regular Essie polish! What?!!
- I did touch up the very tips and apply another topcoat midweek, but that could be partly due to the fact that I am not a professional nail tech and I wash my hands so darn much. But it’s important to note that there were no major chips!
Like this shade? Take a closer look!
Essie Gel Couture: In Conclusion
Would I purchase more of these? Absolutely! Am I in a hurry to get back to my salon routine! Absolutely not. It is refreshing to be able to pain my own nails with a reliable, easy-to-apply, fast-drying product. However, the end result is not really comparable to a true salon gel manicure. I would say it’s a very hardy regular manicure.
What I like best:
- Dries in no time
- Easy to apply (I completed the entire manicure in under 10 minutes.)
- Pretty fool-proof
Suggestions for use:
- Touch up the very tips and add another topcoat halfway through the duration of wear to keep nails looking fresh.
- Moisturizing your hands throughout the duration may or may not extend wear. Just a thought.
That’s what’s up in the nail world today. Do you do your own nails? Have you tried these polishes? If so, what are your thoughts? Do you have another go-to type of polish?? Let’s chat below!
Here are my most recent shoppable pics:
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Stay in touch: